Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chicken and Yellow Rice

This recipe is one that was handed down to me from my mother.  I have tweaked it here and there, but it largely remains the same as it was when I was a kid.  This meal is good and hearty, as well as relatively healthy.  I prefer to use boneless chicken thighs because it is less messy during the shredding stage, but you can make it with bone-in if that is what you prefer.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
10 oz bag of Vigo yellow rice
1 can baby peas
1 cup baby carrot slices
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper


1.  In 6 cups of water, add the onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and the chicken thighs.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook chicken for about 25 minutes.

2.  In a small mixing bowl, add a handful of ice and some water.  Then remove the chicken from the water and place in the bowl of ice water.  ( I do this so that I can shred it without burning my fingers on it.

3.  If you haven't already, cut your baby carrots into slices.  Then add the yellow rice and the carrots to the boiling water on the stove.  While your rice and carrots cook, start shredding your chicken.  Add shredded chicken to pot.  Let this cook for 15 minutes.

4.  Add your can of peas, and let it cook for about 5 minutes more.  The mixture should be thick, with all of the water absorbed by the rice.  If it is not, continue cooking until desired texture is reached.  Season to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment